Banana Hammock!

High-speed broadband 
is here! Up to 8Mb broadband from only £9.99 per month. Free setup available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Through The Pain Barrier!

Hello All!

I was just sat in front of my computer wondering what to do and I realised that I hadn't written anything in here for just over a month. So I figured I would get my writing game on and have a bash and saying something interesting!

Yeah I don't believe it will happen either!

Soooo, Happy New Year first of all! Haven't said that on here yet, although I think I have said it to everyone who deserves it closer to the time!
I can honestly say that, although it has been a month since my last post, not much has been going on! I did get a job, albeit a temp job. But it is for 3 months, and it is quite good. I'm working at a place called McAlpine Helicopters (sounds classy I know) My job is in the despatch part of stores, so I help to send parts out to all the various companies that need them for their helicopters. It may not sound like much, but the people are good and I get to have a look at the helicopters every now and then which is interesting! See, my bro is no longer the only one in the our family who is in the aerospace industry! :-)

Apart from work, which I started 2 weeks ago, I haven't done much, except I have renewed my love affair with hockey. I have to admit that, even though I was playing regularly and felt I was improving as a player, and I also enjoyed the social side of hockey while I was at uni, I was enjoying the sport less than I used to. I don't really know why, I just wasn't as interested in it. This was partly the reason why I sort of didn't bother with hockey at the start of this season. I did go and help my dad coaching the Under 14's on a Sunday morning, which I have been really enjoying all season as I feel that I have a lot I can help with, but as far as playing went, I was just happy to muck around on a Sunday morning to satisfy m need to hit a ball!
Just before Christmas I decided that I should get off my arse and get involved again, as much for my fitmess as for the fun! I went to watch the 4th's play so that I could get my name back on the list of available players (turned out I had been on these lists for a while as I had been going training since just after the start of the season. Even more surprising than that was that I was on the 3rd teams list!)
Anyway, through complete chance I ended up getting a game for the 3rd's on the same day that I went to watch the 4th's as they were short on players. I ended up player the entire game, and player pretty well! I was amazed at the fact that I was actually quite good, and really enjoyed it.

Since this I have played every game for the 3rd's and we have won all of them! I'm not even going to pretend that it is anything to do with me as the team was unbeaten all year anyway! However last weekend I played right back during the first half of the game, came of at half time and then return 10 minutes into the second half at left midfield to score the winning goal! It occurred to me that it was the first goal that I have ever scored in a competitive game, so I was pretty proud!

Unfortunately, Sod's Law dictates that because I had achieved something good, something bad wasn't too far away! Or it could be karma according to Carson Daley and 'My Name Is Earl'! Anywho, 10 minutes after scoring, someone on the opposition decided that it would be a prime spot to collide with me, knocking my bad knee with his knee. And that was pretty much the end of my game. It sucked! I haven't felt so bad since I got dumped! I have really really been enjoying my hockey as of late, and being injured really put a downer on it. So much so that I told myself as I sat on the bench that I would play next weekend whatever happened!!!

Now this seems like a simple thing to say, but when you have a temperamental knee like mine, it is questionable whether I will be walking properly the next weekend, let alone running! And so the fun of limping began! It starting on Sunday when I went to coach. My knee was pretty bad in the morning, so I had to wear my knee support while I was coaching.

On a side note, below are a picture of my massive Basketball shorts, which I wore to training, which was taking place in a toasty -3! BRRRRRRRR.



For the rest of the week my knee seemed to get progressively worse rather than better! On Tuesday my Mum booked an appointment at the doctor's for me, which I went to after work on Thursday (Mad props (Huh?) to George at work for covering for me so that I left 20 minutes early without losing pay!)
The doc said, as I expected, that the current problem will go away with time and rest, but the underlying problem will need looking at again. For those of you who don't know, I have a problem with my knee called Osteochondritis Dissecans. I can't be bothered to explain it, so the link is provided. Pretty much, my knee can hurt a lot! I had keyhole surgery when I was 12, but they did nothing!
So now the doctor is booking me an MRI scan to have a look at what is going on with my knee now. In the past year my knee has started the rather unnerving problem of having a piece of cartilage or something popping round the side of the knee. Sounds bad, and feels even worse if I put all my weight on my right leg while this cartilage is in the wrong place! So, as soon as the doctor gets an appointment, I will be having a scan.
Come Friday my knee felt even worse, probably from where the doctor was pull and pushing around. It hurt so much to walk that by my lunch break I had to go home to put my knee support on and stock up on ibuprofen! I managed to make it through work, painfully and then, when I got home, I did the sensible thing and went to bed!
When I awoke my knee felt slightly better, but still weak and a little painful when trying to walk normally.

Now you would have thought that with this much pain, and the lack of proper walking ability, hockey would have been the last thing on my mind! But I was determined to stick by what I promised myself a week earlier. So when I awoke this morning I was pleasantly surprised to find the pain had subsided. Don't get me wrong, it still hurt to walk, but I wasn't about to let that stop me, or tell my parents!
The 3rd's captain already knew that I probably wouldn't be able to play too long, and that I was mainly there for cover, so I felt that everything would be fine.
Once I got to the Brookes pitch, put my knee support on and warmed up a bit, my knee was feeling slightly awkward, and a little painful, but felt strong enough to play. As it turned out I ended up playing all but 10 minutes of the game! The only reason that I missed 10 minutes was because I brought myself off with 10 minutes to go in the first half due to being paranoid about having a split toe after being hit by the ball. This is what happens after you have a finger split open by a ball!

And so, even with the slight amount of pain I had been experiencing from my knee, I played through almost an entire game, even putting in a body check that any American Football/Rugby/Ice Hockey player would have been proud of! Even odder than being able the play the game, was that afterwards, my knee felt better than it had before! In fact, I have had pretty much no pain since finishing the game!

Oh, and we won 4-3!

Sooo, I have been rambling for quite some time now! If you have made it this far, congratulations!

I will leave it at that, and say goodbye for now!

Much Love!

2 Comments:

  • :( Hope your knee gets better soon!

    By Blogger Slink, at 1:59 pm  

  • men! chuh! they whine about anything! :-P ;-) hehe

    xx

    p.s hope it gets better soon!

    By Blogger ktpland, at 1:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home